Gundog Working Tests are competitions that artificially simulate shooting day conditions, in order to assess the working abilities of gundogs. Gundog Working Tests are effectively a simulated Field Trial, although our Working Test has subtle differences from other gundog events. Field Trials have been developed to test the working ability of gundogs in competitive conditions, and resemble, as closely as possible, a day’s shooting in the field including the use of live game. No live game is shot during a working test, but organisers can choose to use cold game.
The Working Test is different in that it involves a compact test area, and is timed, rather than judged. This takes away the subjective nature of judging, which would be difficult to apply over the shorter format. The working test is one of our most fun and intense gundog events and really gives handlers the chance to show off the quality training that goes into a top class working gundog.
Competitors can enter the Working Test to compete in the Chudleys Gundog Championship or simply enter as a have-a-go event. Detailed rules will be available at both the registration tent and the Working Test site. Please feel free to ask the stewards about the working test if you are new to the sport.
Gundog Working Test Prizes:
- 1st Place – £25 cash, Engraved Crystal Goblet, Rosette & entry to the Championship Final
- 2nd Place – £15 cash, Engraved Crystal Goblet, Rosette & entry to the Championship Final
- 3rd Place – £10 cash, Engraved Crystal Goblet & Rosette
Gundog Working Test Rules:
- Any eliminating faults will apply.
- This will be a timed test.
- The clock will be stopped in between retrieves except when a seen retrieve and blind retrieve is set. On this occasion the clock will remain running until both dummies are retrieved to hand and in the order the judge has requested.
- If any dummy is retrieved in the wrong order, the dog will be disqualified.
- No bitches are to be run in season.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- There will be no exceptions to the rules.
- Entry is limited to Kennel Club recognised gundog breeds only.
- Re-entry is permitted
- Entries cost £10.00 each
** All dogs and owners are entered at their own risk.