The Short Fence Gundog Scurry is as simple as the name suggests. A skill often overlooked in other gundog scurries is the ability to leap over fences or into pens, which is an essential part of any gundogs repertoire. The very nature of the land over which game shoots are often situated means that it is highly unusual for a dog to work on a shoot where there are no fences of any kind. Stock fences, sheep hurdles, partridge pens and all manner of other obstacles await. There is not a Gun in the land who can honestly profess the ability to drop a bird precisely where he or she intends, not without at least the hint of a wry smile creeping across their face!
Out in the field, some of the obstacles faced can be quite difficult, and in some instances even dangerous to scale. However, the Short Fence Gundog Scurry is merely a fun representation, and is achievable by gundogs of all breeds and skill levels. These often favoured more experienced dogs, however an important feature of all of the gundog scurries is that all handlers are given a fair and genuine chance of winning prizes, whether your dog is a seasoned competitor, or entering it’s first ever gundog scurry.
This fast and furious gundog scurry is similar to the Long Retrieve Gundog Scurry, but we have added a small fence midway for your dog to jump. A dummy will be launched from a static dummy launcher and will land the other side of a low fence. Your dog must retrieve the dummy, jumping the fence on both the outward and inward journey.
Short Fence Gundog Scurry Prizes:
- 1st Place – £25 cash, Engraved Crystal Goblet & Rosette
- 2nd Place – £15 cash, Engraved Crystal Goblet & Rosette
- 3rd Place – £10 cash, Engraved Crystal Goblet & Rosette
Short Fence Gundog Scurry Rules
- A single dummy will be fired from a static dummy launcher.
- The dog is to be sat unrestrained in the designated area and off-lead
- The dog must stay steady until the steward tells the handler to send the dog.
- Any dog that is unsteady and “runs in” will be disqualified.
- Any dog that is sent before the steward has told the handler to send the dog will be disqualified.
- The clock will be stopped when the dummy has been delivered to hand.
- The dog that retrieves the dummy in the fastest time will be the winner.
- Any dog may enter, however prizes will be allocated to Kennel Club recognised gundog breeds only.
- No Bitches to be run in season.
- A time limit of two minutes will be allowed.
- Re-entry is permitted
- Entries cost £2.50 each or 5 for £10.00
** All dogs and owners are entered at their own risk.