At Countryman Fairs we recognise that while it’s important to celebrate the achievements of gundogs and their handlers who are at the very top of their game, it is essential that we encourage newcomers to the sport that we all enjoy so much. Each of our gundog scurries is simple enough for novices to enjoy, but also tricky enough to test the mettle of the very best. But sometimes a stress and pressure free environment is the best place to take your first steps. That’s where the Novice Gundog Scurry comes in.
The Novice Gundog Scurry is open to ALL breeds of dog, not just gundogs. This scurry involves two simple retrieves, which aim to encourage the novice dog and handler. Don’t worry though, the dummies will not be thrown into the pens, but will still used the features of the arena to make the retrieves more interesting for you and your dog. As with our other gundog scurries, there are prizes available for the top 3 places on each day. However, these are only open to novice dogs and handlers so you have a great chance of taking away a memento of your first competitive outing.
Novice Retrieve Gundog Scurry Prizes:
- 1st Place – Engraved Crystal Trophy & Rosette
- 2nd Place – Engraved Crystal Trophy & Rosette
- 3rd Place – Engraved Crystal Trophy & Rosette
Novice Gundog Scurry Rules:
- Two seen dummies will be thrown.
- The dog may be restrained if necessary.
- When both dummies have landed, the dog must retrieve both dummies against the clock.
- The dummies can be retrieved in either order.
- The dog will be allowed two minutes in which to retrieve both dummies.
- The clock will be stopped in between retrieves when the dog has returned to the designated area.
- The dog that retrieves both dummies in the fastest time will be the winner.
- Prizes are open to all dog breeds.
- Re-entry is permitted
- Entries cost £2.50 each or 5 for £10.00
** All dogs and owners are entered at their own risk.